Hello everyone! In this MELHORE SEU INGLÊS – IMPROVE YOUR ENGLISH PODCAST, I will talk about the REPORTED SPEECH!
How to use Reported Speech
If you have a sentence in Direct Speech, try to follow our 5 steps to put the sentence into Reported Speech..
- Define the type of the sentence (statement, questions, command)
- What tense is used in the introductory sentence?
- Do you have to change the person (pronoun)?
- Do you have to backshift the tenses?
- Do you have to change expressions of time and place?
1. Statements, Questions, Commands
Mind the type of sentences when you use Reported Speech. There is more detailed information on the following pages.
2. The introductory sentence
If you use Reported Speech there are mostly two main differences.
The introductory sentence in Reported Speech can be in the Present or in the Past.
If the introductory sentences is in the Simple Present, there is no backshift of tenses.
- Susan: “Mary works in an office.”
- Introductory sentence in the Simple Present → Susan says (that)* Mary works in an office.
- Introductory sentence in the Simple Past → Susan said (that)* Mary worked in an office.
3. Change of persons/pronouns
If there is a pronoun in Direct Speech, it has possibly to be changed in Reported Speech, depending on the siutation.
- Direct Speech → Susan: “I work in an office.”
- Reported Speech → Susan said (that)* she worked in an office.
Here I is changed to she.
4. Backshift of tenses
If there is backshift of tenses in Reported Speech, the tenses are shifted the following way.
- Direct Speech → Peter: “I work in the garden.”
- Reported Speech → Peter said (that)* he worked in the garden.
|Direct Speech||Reported Speech|
|Simple Present||Simple Past|
|Simple Past||Past Perfect|
5. Conversion of expressions of time and place
If there is an expression of time/place in the sentence, it may be changed, depending on the situation.
- Direct Speech → Peter: “I worked in the garden yesterday.”
- Reported Speech → Peter said (that) he had worked in the garden the day before.
|Direct Speech||Reported Speech|
|this evening||that evening|
|today/this day||that day|
|these days||those days|
|a week ago||a week before|
|last weekend||the weekend before / the previous weekend|
|next week||the following week|
|tomorrow||the next/following day|
6. Additional information
In some cases backshift of tenses is not necessary, e.g. when statements are still true. Backshift of tenses is never wrong.
- John: “My brother is at Leipzig university.”
- John said (that) his brother was at Leipzig university. or
- John said (that) his brother is at Leipzig university.
when you use general statements.
- Mandy: “The sun rises in the east.”
- Mandy said (that) the sun rose in the east. or
- Mandy said (that) the sun rises in the east.
* The word that is optional, that is the reason why we put it in brackets.
LISTEN TO THE PODCAST
Um abraço do Prof. Newton e da Profa. Érika!
MELHORE SEU INGLÊS – SPOTIFY
SE INSCREVA NO NOSSO PODCAST!
…with web-based podcatchers. Click your choice below:
…Com outros serviços!
Conheça e se inscreva no MELHORE SEU INGLÊS – ÉRIKA E NEWTON, nosso CANAL NO YOUTUBE de Dicas Diárias de Inglês, com mais de 700 vídeos com videoaulas ensinando a como aprender inglês sozinho, além de AULAS AO VIVO GRATUITAS! 🙂
Siga o MELHORE SEU INGLÊS – ÉRIKA E NEWTON!
► Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/c/erikaenewtoninglesporskypebh
► Melhore Seu Inglês BLOG: https://melhoreseuingles.wordpress.com/
► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/erikaenewton
► Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/melhoreseuingles
► Melhore Seu Inglês Podcast: https://melhoreseuinglespodcast.wordpress.com
► NITRODUNGEON RPG Blog: https://newtonrocha.wordpress.com/
► NITROBLOG: Resenhas Literárias, Dicas para Escritores Blog https://tionitroblog.wordpress.com/
► NITROBLOG YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Resenhas Literárias, Dicas para Escritores Blog https://tionitroblog.wordpress.com/
► NEWTON NITRO INSTAGRAM: Dicas de RPG e para Escritores https://www.instagram.com/newtonnitro/
► NEWTON NITRO TWITTER: Dicas de RPG e Dicas para Escritores https://twitter.com/tionitro
Aulas TODOS OS DIAS, de 7 às 23 horas!
Para aulas de Inglês Individuais por Skype FOCADAS EM CONVERSAÇÃO e fazer UMA AULA EXPERIMENTAL GRATUITA, basta entrar em contato no email@example.com ou no whatsapp (31) 9143-7388.
As recomendações e depoimentos de vários dos nossos alunos podem serem lidos nesse link:
Newton Rocha | Professor de Inglês – Aulas por Skype
WhatsApp: (31) 99143-7388 | Skype: firstname.lastname@example.org
Google +: https://goo.gl/J35qE8
Youtube Canal Nitroblog:https://goo.gl/ti9rs5
Érika de Pádua | Professora de Inglês – Aulas por Skype
WhatsApp: (31) 99223-5540 | Skype: email@example.com
Google +: https://goo.gl/bLjuCxCOMOhttps://ia800800.us.archive.org/28/items/melhoreseuinglespodcast/Obligation%20Advice%20and%20Permission%20-%20IMPROVE%20YOUR%20ENGLISH%20-%20Melhore%20Seu%20Ingl%C3%AAs%20PODCAST%20-%20%C3%89rika%20%26%20Newton%20-%20SKYPE%20ENGLISH%20CLASSES.mp3